Author Topic: Cognitive Impairment associated with Hypothyroidism or Other Hormonal Pbs?  (Read 6633 times)

September 20, 2011, 05:14:37 pm
Hi!
There aren't many people on that board but I am so tired of my primary symptom which is "cognitive impairment".

I have lost some of my mental health over the last 5 years (along with all the classic hypo symptoms). I was doing a PhD in English literature (I am not English). I first struggled with my concentration and my memory. Both got worse over the years. And I also had other problems turning up: Hallucinations (visual mainly, sometimes related to taste). I struggle with spelling, I cannot read anymore in English or my native language (I cannot concentrate enough or I can't understand the whole meaning of the sentence), use of the wrong words/incoherent sometimes, putting events in order (two actions but I cannot tell which happened first), confusion,
I could go on and on. I am close to being a threat to myself.
I have seen a neurologist this year and she did a first batch of tests with no abnormal results (including MRI scan, b12). My vitamin D was a bit low (I know it supports mental health). My neurologist thinks my problem can be related to hypothyroidism.
Some people with hypothyroidism suffer from memory loss & concentration but their cogntive impairment do not seem to be as debilitating as mine.
My endocrinologist thinks also that I have a sex hormone imbalance (not enough oestrogens I believe). I know that there is a link between low oestrogens and worsening mental acuity (cf. menopaused women, there are some reports on this).

Is anyome in my situation or has experienced what I am talking about? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am desperate to feel better at least  in my head. Thanks.
Elsa

September 20, 2011, 06:24:29 pm
Reply #1
  • Extemely Active Star Member
Hi Elsa

Can you let us have your blood work results along with the ranges for your area please.

Steff.

September 21, 2011, 09:43:05 am
Reply #2
Hi Steff,

The latest tests results for the thyroid & Vit D:

06/06/2011TSH 4.32, FT4 13.70
04/08/2011 TSH 1.45 (0.30-5.00), FT4 14.4 (8.8-18.8), Vit D 22.4 (23-118)

September 21, 2011, 09:52:32 am
Reply #3
Hi Steff,

The latest tests results for the thyroid & Vit D:

06/06/2011 TSH 4.32, FT4 13.70
04/08/2011 TSH 1.45 (0.30-5.00), FT4 14.4 (8.8-18.8), Vit D 22.4 (23-118)

Sorry, i meant to post more results. Basically, since medicated the results go in the right direction (lower TSH, higher Ft4). I have had an increase after the last blood test results that you see. I am now on 75 mcg. But I feel the same way I was in April this year when my TSH was 17.26 and my FT4 was 10.0. I have been on thyroixine for just over 5 months now.
So there is no way on earth my neurologist can tell if my cognitive impairment is related to the thyroid unless I am properly medicated and most of my symptoms go away then we'll know which symptoms I am left with! I have other symptoms unrelated to hypothyroidism (but most definitely related to the endocrine system like the sex hormones).
Elsa

September 21, 2011, 09:56:16 am
Reply #4
Thank you.

Also Vitamin B12, folate and ferritin and fT3 and sex hormones please.

Are you supplementing that low D ?

Steff.

September 21, 2011, 10:51:40 am
Reply #5
Serum B12 was within ranges according to the neurologist. I probably need to get the exact result.

All the other tests had never been done until a few weeks ago except sex hormones (which were ok last year). I'll get the results from my endo at my next appointment on the 5th next month. I'll post then I guess.

September 23, 2011, 02:03:50 pm
Reply #6
  • Full Member 5
B12 can be right at the bottom of the range and still considered normal but in other countries, compared to their reference ranges, could be classed as very deficient - best to get the exact numbers, it will probably need a boost, most of us do.

CCB. x
Ex Forum Moderator
Please take a look at the Thyroid FAQs - http://www.thyroid-disease.org.uk/smf/index.php?board=57.0

September 25, 2011, 07:10:45 pm
Reply #7
thanks Cindy for the advice. I actually should know better. I have been dealing with the NHS reference ranges for a couple of years now, like my Vit D that was "just under" the range recently so there was no need to let me know until I asked for a copy, just to make sure ...I simply cannot trust anyone! Argh!

September 26, 2011, 12:55:06 pm
Reply #8
  • member4
I suffer with all that too but did improve a bit as they upped my T4 and added in T3. I have vit D def. too and didn't know that can cause that.I'd say your TSH is a bit high meaning you are a bit hypo.

Rosemary
x

October 12, 2011, 11:49:35 am
Reply #9
  • Full Member 5
Hi Elsa! Your vitamin D is seriously low. You should aim for 125 nmol/L or above. The upper limit is somewhere around 300 or 350, so there is room for improvement!

I have read about T3 and its role for mental health. Try to get your FT3 checked.

Totto

October 12, 2011, 12:03:17 pm
Reply #10
  • member4
Doing academic study when ill is a real struggle. I recently did a master's in applied linguistics, and went hypo twice during that time: once was when first diagnosed, and then a year later because my previous GP made a hash of things. I found everything so much more difficult when ill - it was like thinking through fog, and like you said, concentration, memory, planning, ability to read, and everything goes. My essay results paralleled my health at the time so exactly, it could have been used as a diagnostic tool LOL! I've got better now on the right thyroid replacement.

As others have said, getting your free T3 checked would be good. Mine was very low even with an ok TSH and free T4. I now take a combination of T4 and T3, which works a lot better for me than only T4.

Good luck, and please keep us updated

koala xxx
Diagnosed hypo 23 Dec 09
75µg Levo + 15µg T3

October 13, 2011, 03:50:43 pm
Reply #11
Thank you all for your replies.

I had an appointment with an endo last week. He asked about my Vit D, I told him that his collegue ordered the test at our last appointment. The hospital decided not to do it but fortunately my gp had done it. Anyway, he was a bit annoyed and by the time he saw my results (I told him that the gp did nothing) he was really annoyed. He said that the range for Vit D at the hospital was not the same one used by my group practise. He told me to take 400 IU daily. I think this is too low. What do you think? I take 800 IU (yes I disobeyed!). I don't think that I am going to overdose on that.

To Koala & Totto, I think that you are probably about with the FT3. For the first time ever, the endo said he wanted to check my FT3. I was so surprised with his decision (they do not check it there, not automatically at least). I discussed the fact that I felt no improvement on 75 mcg of levo. My blood tests had not changed from two months ago (roughly TSH at 1.5, FT4 at 15). He increased the dose to 100 mcg but mumbled something about my FT3 being low when they were checked last year (FT3 at 4). Though it was within the range at the hospital where it was checked, it is a low result at their hospital. Argh, I am so fed up with the lack of national normal ranges...

I am seeing him in 5 weeks (instead of the usual 2 months). He seemed eager to see me sooner rather than later. Maybe I am not converting I wonder now...

Thanks for your help.
Elsa

October 13, 2011, 06:47:36 pm
Reply #12
  • Full Member 5
Hi Elsa!

400IU is a ridiculously low dose. I call it a homoeopathic dose, definitely not a therapeutic one. I have been on 6000IU/day for a year, except during the summer. After being diagnosed vit D deficient last November (49 nmol/L) I tested at 102 at the end of Feb and 117 in June, so it takes time even on fairly high doses.

Don't be afraid of high doses vitamin D, it is almost impossible to overdose as long as you don't take more than 10 000IU for a long time.

A link to a doctors´s blog about vitamin D, among other things.

http://www.trackyourplaque.com/blog/category/vitamin-d

Totto 

October 14, 2011, 03:27:14 pm
Reply #13
Thanks so much Totto! 400 IU did not seem that much, but it is far away from the 6000IU you take. I'll take your experience on board. I need to take more than 800 IU then! May I ask how you take your 6000 a day. I have tablets but it's two tablets for 200 IU. Is there any tablets with a much higher IU per tablet?

I have read that a lot of doctors are actually saying that the recommended levels are too low. I don't know if you've heard of the futurologist & inventor Ray Kurzweil (his work is backed by NASA!). He explained in an article in a magazine that he takes a lot of supplements like 150 a day! But for him the essentials in orderto live healthy & longer are: an anti-inflammatory diet (he says that "inflammation is basically over-activation of the system" which makes sense for those of us having Hashimoto's thyroiditis), a calorie-restricted diet (he does not mean going on a diet, he means no more than the recommended amount of calorie per day like 2000-2500) phosphatidylcholine supplements (90% of the cell membrane consists of that, it depletes with time and gets filled with hard fats & cholesterol) and....Vitamin D (he takes 2000 IU a day and he is in good health...)

Elsa

October 14, 2011, 06:07:37 pm
Reply #14
  • Full Member 5
Hi Elsa! Your vitamin D is seriously low. You should aim for 125 nmol/L or above. The upper limit is somewhere around 300 or 350, so there is room for improvement!

I have read about T3 and its role for mental health. Try to get your FT3 checked.

Totto

Totto, I think you're getting a little confused there as the average range for vitamin D is something like 20 - 110 nmol/L so you're aiming for around 100nmol/L.

I have read many articles that say it can be higher and cause no harm but it's a fat soluble vitamin, meaning the body can't easily rid itself of the excess so you can become 'toxic' on it - I itch like mad all over when my levels are too high.

It can also cause muscle pain and stiffness when it's too high so something to look out for.

Personally I only need 500IU (from Boots) to get my levels up - some need much higher amounts to get there but please get retested if possible to monitor progress.

CCB. x
Ex Forum Moderator
Please take a look at the Thyroid FAQs - http://www.thyroid-disease.org.uk/smf/index.php?board=57.0