Author Topic: Virus & Thyroid effects.  (Read 1138 times)

June 22, 2012, 05:13:37 pm
Hi Guys

I'm not to well at present after a couple of weeks of feeling normalish. My latest Bloods came came as TSH 2.3 but havent received my free T4 and T3 results yet. There has been a virus going around at work and I was taken to the hospital this morning with breathing problems and an ache in my chest. ESG was done and emergency bloods, all came back normal.

What I was wondering is - can the effects of a virus make my thyroid levels change and make me feel these symptoms. Or the effects of a virus worse for a thyroid sufferer worse than someone who doesn't have this problem.

Thanks

Graeme :-)

June 22, 2012, 07:31:26 pm
Reply #1
  • Extemely Active Star Member
  • seek and you will find answers
HI Graeme x You are spot on any kind of virus will knock thyroid levels haywire all you can do is sit it out nothing can alter a virus invasion only rest paracetomol and time  and yes again to a thyroid sufferer will feel more effect as the virus alters the balance of TSH T$ AND T3 but it will remedy itself  you could try to increase vit C that should help ..

love Anita H
anita H

June 22, 2012, 07:45:09 pm
Reply #2
Hi Anita

Thank you for your reply.

I feel awful just hope I will get better by Monday as I'm the only one in the office at work :-( Guess I will just try and sleep it off.

Graeme x

June 22, 2012, 08:31:38 pm
Reply #3
Get well soon xx
Confuddled - diagnosed May 2012 hypothyroidism.

June 22, 2012, 08:55:42 pm
Reply #4
Thank you Twirly xx

June 22, 2012, 09:22:44 pm
Reply #5
Graeme sorry you are not feeling well . I would suggest you get some healthy food down you this

weekend to give your immune system a boost . Fresh fruit ,especially those with high Vit c ,some raw

garlic as well . Drink plenty of water to help flush out your system . It really does help . Hope you feel

better soon .

Motherelle x #4336

June 22, 2012, 09:47:10 pm
Reply #6
  • member4
Hi Graeme,   (from another rare fella?)

I had, perhaps, the worst sore throat I have ever had in my life recently - and I am used to sore thoats.  Just swallowing water was excruciating and I struggled to get a tooth brush in to clean my teeth. The "bug" then got on my chest.  To my surprise it did not seem to floor me in terms of my thyroid meds.  We are all different I suppose.

I don't know an awful lot but I have found that the more I know the better armed I am to deal with (mainly) my Endo visits.  As you are probably doing, I learnt a lot from this "lovely"site.  Has anyone mentioned or, have you seen anything about books?  (For when you are feeling better!)

I found Dr Toft's book very useful - particularly as I am one of those with supressed TSH and his" some will only feel well with a free T4 at the top end (or even over) of the range" - has been important in to me in seeking different meds.  However, many of us don't agree with some of his pronouncements.

G R B Skinner's book "Diagnosis and Management of Hypothyroidism" was an eye opener. If you have not seen it but want to learn more about Hypo it is almost a must.

Hope you feel better soon.

OOW
TT Dec 2009 (Micro Cancer) Now on a T4 T3 mix.  Diagnosed with rare, but not frightful, Leukaemia Oct 2011.  Still mostly positive, could be a lot worse!

June 23, 2012, 10:04:18 am
Reply #7
  • member4
Hi Graeme, I can say from experience that virus's can certainly mess with the thyroid.

A few years ago when hyper, I felt shocking, tight chest, trouble breathing, no appitite so I requested my bloods checked.

My TSH came back and it had shot up from 0.02 to 0.3, it doesn't seem much, but, looking closer it did increase 12 fold.

A day or two later I came down with influenza and was quite ill for over a week. Two weeks after recovery I had routine bloods done and my TSH was back to 0.02 again.

My endo said any type of virus, infection or bug can throw the thyroid out of whack and the results won't be reliable.

Yorky xxx 
Diagnosed with Graves disease Oct '08, came off medication 14th April 2010.
Finally diagnosed hypothyroid 15th Nov '10.
Diagnosed Pre Diabetic 30th July 2013.