Author Topic: What to expect from levothyroxine...and when?  (Read 3818 times)

May 21, 2008, 01:20:55 pm
I've finally started on levothyroxine! It's only a trial as I'm officially euthyroid. My TSH levels were above 2. My T4 was low but my T3 was high. I've been feeling hypo for just over two years and I have 300+ TPO antibodies. It runs in my family.

Anyway, I've been on 50mg for seven days. I know they say it takes weeks but could I be feeling anything already?

-My fingers feel warmer and less numb, I keep touching things and being surprised at how soft things are (although my feet are still like icecubes in bed).
-My breathing feels easier. Not sure how to describe it but it feels like the air is just passing in and out of me really easily, like my tubes are wide and open. I wasn't aware that I found breathing hard before but now breathing almost seems fun. I know that doesn't probably doesn't make any sense, it's really difficult to explain.
-I keep thinking that my large thyroid nodule is smaller although when I feel it with my fingers it feels the same size. This one is probably more wishful thinking than anything else and the endo was very very clear that it couldn't possibly shrink with thyroxine.

I guess this could just be me being hopeful and over analysing things. When have other people noticed a difference and what sorts of things do they notice?

May 21, 2008, 01:37:42 pm
Reply #1
Some symptoms easer sooner than others.

It should take 7-8 weeks for each dosage change to take full effect but certain things will ease quicker than that, some you may still feel even if your blood test results are 'normal'

May 21, 2008, 02:41:02 pm
Reply #2
Hello,

I recently started taking 50mcg levothyroxine and felt a positive effect from it on the second day.  I was very surprised about this as I didn't expect to feel any difference for some time.  The fog which had been living in my head miraculously cleared and I realised I actually felt awake - something I hadn't done in months!  However, last week, a couple of weeks after commencing meds, the 'fog' returned and I've had vertigo.  It seems to be clearing now, but I'm not sure if it's something to do with my thyroid or if I've had a head virus which has been doing the rounds recently in my area.  From what people have told me on here, it's possible to feel up and down when you first start meds, so it might be advisable to not try doing too much straight away even though you are feeling a bit better.  Hope your symptoms continue to improve! xx

May 21, 2008, 03:19:59 pm
Reply #3
When I first started taking Thyroxine I felt like I was on speed for a few weeks.  Then i got used to the dose and felt crap again Until I got another increasedd

May 21, 2008, 10:08:29 pm
Reply #4
Thanks.

I'm a bit concerned that I'm being rushed through the doses very quickly.

I've got 2 weeks on 50, 2 weeks on 75 and then 2 weeks on 100 and then a blood test "Just to make sure we're not poisoning you".

The endo was very clear that she didn't think I needed thyroxine or that I'd feel any different on it but agreed for me to have a trial. I'm a bit concerned that being upped so quick will make my blood results very hyper and I'll be told that I'll need to stop. Part of me thinks it might be more sensible to stay on 50 for a few weeks and see what happens, as she doesn't think I need it I can't see that she'd up it after my blood results.

May 21, 2008, 10:17:35 pm
Reply #5
Hi Jam,

That does seem a quick jump in doses.

l would wonder what the reasoning is behind it.

rubyxx

May 27, 2008, 10:49:58 pm
Reply #6
I've been on the levothyroxine 25mcg for 13 days now. I've noticed a couple more things since starting. 1) I seem to be holding my tummy in. I know this probably sounds strange but I always used to hold my stomach in all the time and after my second child I couldn't which I put down to having just had a c-section and two pregnancies. 2) I have very short bursts of energy and I mean very short like today I ran from my kitchen into the garden and bounced a few times on the mini trampoline much to the surprise and delight of my children. I always used to be a racy around type of person so I hope that is returning. Other times though I still tired and like I can't wake up properly.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet though. I got my next endo appointment through today and it isn't for 11 weeks but I was only given enough meds for another 4 weeks.

May 28, 2008, 02:08:11 pm
Reply #7
Hi Jami

If you phone the receptionist at your Docs and explain they should be able to get a repeat prescription sorted out for you

May 29, 2008, 12:47:30 am
Reply #8
Really? It's that easy? I'm a bit afraid that they won't give me any more.

May 29, 2008, 08:01:43 am
Reply #9
It should be.  The Endo will have sent a letter to the Doc and it will be in your records.  If the docs have no record of it then phone the Endo's secretary.

June 01, 2008, 08:40:37 pm
Reply #10
I have cervical mucous!!! :8) I haven't had that for years  :-[

But my hair seems to be falling out more than it was  :'(

June 08, 2008, 11:53:01 pm
Reply #11
My breasts are sore. They've been getting painful for a few months now, in fact I even went to the GP about it once.

Are sore boobs related to anything thyroid? Is it a symptom of early menopause? My Mum was very young but from what I've read low thyroid can make ovarian failure which means menstruation stops and might look like menopause. I was hoping not to go through it yet (33) and thought maybe the levothyroxine would help.