Author Topic: Best time to take Levothyroxine?  (Read 4157 times)

July 29, 2009, 08:22:24 pm
This seems like a trivial thing to question here, but I'm seeing a pattern of many users on this forum taking their meds in the am.

I was diagnosed as Hypo in January and at first, I took my pills first thing. But of course, I find it terribly difficult to actually pull myself out of bed in the mornings, so get up late quite a bit.

Because of this, I started taking my pills as I go to bed, so that way I know I'll have about 8hours, at least, without any food to affect the meds.

But now, I'm worried because of the many of you it seems that do take the pills in the am. Right now, I am on 150mcg.

Does anybody think it is safer/more effective in the am compared to pm?

If I should start taking it in the am, what is the roundabout length of time before I can eat?

I would ask my endo but he prefers to shuffle through papers and look at my information rather than answer my questions.

Thanks in advance to any of you for your responses :)

July 29, 2009, 08:42:34 pm
Reply #1
  • Extemely Active Star Member
Hi
I don't think it matters as long as you take it about the same time each day and not with any other meds. You should take it with water and do not eat anything for at least an hour.

I have same prob as you not getting up until gone 10.30 sometimes but i take sleeping tabs at night so i take mine around 11am everyday.

How are you feeling in yourself?

Love Fairy xx

July 30, 2009, 09:23:00 am
Reply #2
Hi Hanna

A small study seems to show that Levo is absorbed better at night, as it has longer in contact with the gut. So keep it up !

Steff.

July 30, 2009, 11:21:33 am
Reply #3
  • Very Active Member
Hi,  I am interested in this debate about when to take meds - currently I too take them in the morning but struggle to take it early enough to keep meds away from the early morning cup of tea. If I took it before bedtime would it keep me awake and would the blood measures  be lower when the blood tests were carried out (usually in the morning surgery slots between 9.00 - 10.00 at my GP).  Thanks for any advice/ experiences,  Lorna

July 30, 2009, 11:40:29 am
Reply #4
Lorna

Some find it disturbs sleep. Give it a try.

I do not know what impact it would have on blood pressure.

Steff.

July 30, 2009, 12:47:05 pm
Reply #5
hiya hannah

i used to taker T4 in the morning

then one day i forgot & took it at night instead

i discovered that i slept massively better when i took the meds at bedtime

so i stuck at that

taking it at bedtime every night

& it was deffo the best result for me

xx
Hypothyroidism, Hypoadrenalism, M.E, Coeliac Disease, Gilberts Syndrome, Depression, Sinus Tachycardia, B12, Potassium & Vitamin D Deficiency, Hypoglycemia, Hypochloridia, yada yada yada ....

July 31, 2009, 08:09:38 pm
Reply #6
Wow ok that's definitly put my mind at ease!!

I think I'll continue the way I'm doing it now then, at least this way I can get my caffiene and Marmite fix as soon as I wake up!! lol

Thanks everyone :)

Hannah x

August 01, 2009, 01:25:20 pm
Reply #7
I take mine at night, then i dont have to worry about waiting to eat breakfast etc in the morning, my doc says it doesnt matter when u take it aslong as its at the same time every day

August 01, 2009, 03:10:00 pm
Reply #8
  • Full Member 5
  • Star Member
As I work shifts I have always taken mine when I get up so one week it will be around 09:00 the next 05:00 the next about 14:00. After reading so many times on here that it should be taken at the same time I thought I would try and change my regime to see if it makes a difference.

As I am on a three week holiday from work, what better time. Trouble is I am so used to taking it as soon as I go down stairs I keep forgetting ::) Better put a note by my tablets and start again tomorrow. fingx
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Hard work never killed anyone, why risk being the first!