Main Forum > Hypothyroidism

Getting doctor to prescribe Nature-Throid/Armour on NHS

(1/1)

SoTired:
I recently went to see Dr Skinner and he confirmed that I have hypothyroidism. A few weeks before I saw him I started taking Nature-Throid as I was convinced that I was hypo and didn't want to wait any longer for treatment. Dr S had no problem with me doing this and advised me to increase the dose, which I've done. I'm now starting to feel slightly better and really want to stay on Nature-Throid, rather than switching to levothyroxine.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to see my GP to find out his reaction to Dr S's diagnosis letter and to ask him to prescribe Nature-Throid for me.

My GP is/was convinced that there's nothing wrong with my thyroid and tried to attribute all my symptoms to depression and anxiety, which I don't even have. When I repeatedly told him I was sure that wasn't the problem he agreed to some more blood tests and these showed that I have a lot of inflammation in my body. This then led my GP to think I might have lupus, even though I have no symptoms of it. He consequently referred me to a rheumatologist, who I'm seeing in a few weeks.

Anyway, my reason for mentioning all that is that I'm worried about how my GP is going to react when he reads the letter from Dr S informing him that I really do have hypothyroidism and have had it since I was a teenager. Dr S said he'd ask my GP to prescribe Nature-Throid for me but I think it's very unlikely he'll do it just like that.

So my question is: how do I get my GP to prescribe Nature-Throid? Those of you who get your Nature-Throid/Armour prescriptions on the NHS, what did you have to do to get them?

Also, if I do manage to persuade my doctor to prescribe Nature-Throid, is there a special procedure he needs to follow? I seem to remember reading that he'd need to get permission from the PCT. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Chatcommander:
Glad that you are starting to feel better ... after all this is the most important thing!  You are very fortunate to feel an improvement so soon.

My guess is that your GP will not be happy as he will not want to be proved wrong as he said you were not hypo so he is unlikely to play ball in my opinion.

The bottom line is this, many GP's will say that they cannot prescribe armour/naturethroid as it is not on their list.  This is not the case, as you know some members on here are prescribed it.

As far as I know the PCT does not have to be involved.

I have a letter from the Department of Health to my MP stating that GP's are allowed to prescribe any product, uncluding any unlicensed as long as they are prepared to justify any challenges to their PCT.

There are details on the main board of how GP's prescribe armour.

The other snag is that you haven't tried levothyroxine, 99% of Docs and Endos will say that levothyroxine is adequate.

Would you consider changing your GP?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version