Author Topic: Gallbladder Removal  (Read 5392 times)

January 13, 2011, 12:14:10 pm
I had two big gallstone attacks last year and have been advised to have the gallbladder removed.  I lost a stone in weight last year through diet and exercise once my correct levo level was established.   However, I've another 3 stone at least to lose.  Problem is now when I'm googling re gallbladder removal lots of people are saying they put on excessive weight after it.  This is the last thing I want, I couldn't bear it.  Does anyone have any experience of this surgery?

January 13, 2011, 12:23:43 pm
Reply #1
  • member4
  • Extemely Active Star Member
Hi Catwoman, I had my gall bladder removed in Feb 08.

I should imagine, as high fat foods can cause a gall bladder attack, the low fat diet before removal, then going back to a normal diet afterwards could be a reason why??

Personally it didn't effect my weight at all.

Just a tip for after surgery, I had really bad pains in my shoulder blade for a few days after, apparently it's common, I found those wheat bags you can heat in the microwave very helpful.

I was in and out the same day, given tramadol for pain, but, never touched them. Had it done on a Wednesday and Saturday I was doing laundry and visiting my mum.

Best of luck, any idea when surgery will be?

Yorkster x

Diagnosed with Graves disease Oct '08, came off medication 14th April 2010.
Finally diagnosed hypothyroid 15th Nov '10.
Diagnosed Pre Diabetic 30th July 2013.

January 13, 2011, 12:29:41 pm
Reply #2
Thanks Yorklass.  I have BUPA through work so they can do it by end Jan if I want.  Were you hypo when you had the surgery and had your weight stabilised?

January 13, 2011, 01:26:17 pm
Reply #3
  • member4
Hi ya I had my gall bladder removed over 10 years ago and I didn't  suffer from any weight gain either.

Like yorkster mine was day surgery and can't recall any problems after. The relief of knowing you are not going to get another attack is great!
Good luck
Plodding on as ever

January 13, 2011, 06:28:48 pm
Reply #4
Hi,
I had my Gall Bladder removed 3 years ago and have had no problems since. I actually lost weight afterwards went down to less than 8st from 9st (I'm 5ft 4in) and t was starting to worry - I think now the weight loss may have been undiagnosed Hyperthyroidism. Endo thinks I could have had it for decades.

Sorry, going back to the Gall Bladder - I had the op privately (glad I did cause there were complications because my Gall Bladder was inflamed again) but still done keyhole. It wouldn't have been if I'd had it on the NHS.  I knew before the op it was inflamed but wanted to get it done. Three years later and no complications at all.

Don't worry - it really is a straightforward op - look forward to getting off all that bland, fat free food.

I wonder if there's any connection between Gall Ladder problems and thyroid - I seem to recall a number of people on this site having Gall Bladder removal.

All the best - let us know how it goes

Maggie
Diagnosed with Graves Disease July 2010, RAI August 2012.

January 14, 2011, 09:46:49 am
Reply #5
Hi,
I had my gallbladder removed 12yrs ago.  I started having attackes (that lasted on and off for around a week, worse than childbirth!!!) every 4-5 weeks but due to my age (22) docs thought i just had colic etc but after 6 months of being in agony they finally sent me in for a scan and found out the truth.
I was massive at the time.  I had only just had my Son a few weeks before i had my 1st attack and athis  birth i weighed 21 1/2 stone.  I weighed around 17 st when i finally had the op.
Two years later i had managed to lose a further 6 stone.  So, in answer to your question, no i didnt have any trouble with weight gain after surgery and some of my family and friends have had a removal also and it was the same for them.

Maggie, I was wondering that too, i posted something about it a little while ago, unfortunatly for me the op didnt go well due to inconpitant idiots and i became very ill, maybe that may have triggered my thyroid problem, it is interesting.

Catwoman, having your gall bladder removed will be the best thing for you as the attacks are horrid arnt they? and you never know when one will stike.  Eveyone i know that has had the op has siad it was such a relief after and the recovery was very quick.
Goodluck
Lilly

January 14, 2011, 10:14:34 am
Reply #6
Hiya Catwoman

I also had my gallbladder removed through Bupa about 5 years ago. It is a fairly simple procedure and I came home the following day and have never looked back. Recovery was quick and eating normal food again was great!!!!!!

The only other thing to watch out for if you are having keyhole surgery is the trapped wind! As they pump lots of gas into your stomache during the operation this can leave you feeling quite uncomfortable. I would recommend you take peppermints in to suck afterwards and drink lots of peppermint tea to try to alleviate symptoms.

I have noticed alot of people who are having thyroid problems also have had gallbladder problems. Have wondered myself if they are linked but who knows? By the way, I wasn't hypothyroid before I had the operation, this came on 3 years later.

Hope all goes well,

Love Kath xxx
Diagnosed with thyroid cancer May 2009

January 14, 2011, 12:08:23 pm
Reply #7
Thanks everyone for your posts, they've been really helpful and put my mind at rest.  Think I will go ahead with the op.

January 14, 2011, 07:21:15 pm
Reply #8
  • Very Active Member
Hi Catwoman, I too had inflammed gall bladder and repeated attacks of cholistitis {Cant spell it} felt awful, I had to wait five years as I was over active thyroid and they had to wait for safe level to operate.
Op was fine no problems, two weeks off work as I lift things.

However I have found out after three years I still cant eat fats. A couple of chips is ok but any more and the pain comes back.
So take it easy and see how you go, introdue foods slowly.
Have the op and I wish you well.
Luv Lin x

January 14, 2011, 07:32:31 pm
Reply #9
  • member4
Lin, have you been tested for stone trapped in any ducts?

My mum in law had her gallbladder removed and was never right, for 8 years she had flare ups after the op with spicy or fatty foods.

She was taken seriously ill with pancreitus,(sorry spelling) in intensive care for 5 days, it reoccured a year or so later, so they investigated further.

She had 3 small stones which had popped out of the bladder and got trapped in tubes or ducts.

She had them removed and can't believe she can eat whatever she likes after all this time.

Maybe you could ask them to check it out for you. It doesn't sound right that you can't tolerate any fats.

Yorkster xx
Diagnosed with Graves disease Oct '08, came off medication 14th April 2010.
Finally diagnosed hypothyroid 15th Nov '10.
Diagnosed Pre Diabetic 30th July 2013.

January 16, 2011, 02:09:55 pm
Reply #10
  • member4
I had mine out 15 years ago and no weight gain for me.

Rosemary
x

January 16, 2011, 05:21:30 pm
Reply #11
  • member4
Is this a silly question... but how come so many of you have had your gallbladder removed?  Is it just coincidence or due to thyroid?  My friend who is veyr hypo also had her gallbladder removed?
Had my thyroid out September 2010... they found Follicular Cancer

January 17, 2011, 12:35:13 pm
Reply #12
  • member4
i personally think it has a lot to do with being undiagnosed hypo for a long time - my gall stones became a problem after being treated for about 2 years - surely its not Coincidence.
Plodding on as ever